Sunday, October 26, 2008

INTRODUCTION

 


Fall On Your Sword

The purpose here is to tell the stories of people who have received unjust treatment at the hands of the justice system.

“Fall on your sword” is a metaphor. Of course it would be inappropriate to suggest that any public figure actually commit honorable harakiri. But maybe if enough stories of their disgraceful practices are told, they can be shamed into stepping down.

This is a time in history when none of us can afford to look down our noses at those who have the misfortune to be caught up in the legal system. Now, more than ever, it can happen to anybody. In The Perpetual Prisoner Machine, Joel Dyer says,

"Research has found that the vast majority of Americans, over 70 percent of us, have committed at least one imprisonable offense such as illegal drug use, driving while intoxicated, shoplifting, and so forth at some point in our lives."

And then, there are the people who haven’t done anything – or at least haven’t done the crime they’re charged with.

The citizen's safety lies in the prosecutor who tempers zeal with human kindness, who seeks truth and not victims, who serves the law and not factional purposes, and who approaches his task with humility.

Robert Jackson, Former Attorney General and Supreme Court Justice

1 comment:

KtG said...

I am in serious trouble. In August 2009, a search warrant was issued for my residence. Come to find out trying to fight this case for a year, the warrant was forged, the affidavit was forged five minutes after the warrant and the entire discovery is fabricated. I cannot get my public defender to help me, its like she doesn't want to ruffle feathers and Judge Kaup told me who I couldn't subpeona and what evidence I couldn't bring into my own trial to prove my case. Since I started fighting my case I have been harassed and abused by the law. I was arrested beaten and sexually assaulted by the csu cops, after being tased. I was thrown into a little holding room at the csu police department where is was for six hours cuffed. I bonded out of jail three days later to find my home was destroyed, the police had broken four window locks trying to break in before deciding to kick my front door down. Then they decided five weeks later they found drugs in my home. Two hours before I bonded out DHS took my thirteen year old child and put a no contact order on us. I have seen her three times since March. Ive lost my home, my car, my child, my life and now my freedom. For the past year I have been fighting for my life. Most everything has been proven lies in court but it seems like they all cover for each other. Since I cannot afford a lawyer I am going to prison. Can anyone help me or guide me in what I should do. I have already filed numerous motions to the Magistrate asking her to verify her signature and I never get an answer. My entire case comes from a girl telling the cops I am a meth dealer because she was mad that I was having an affair with her boyfriend. I really need help and don't know where to turn anymore. The police have harassed my friends leaving my house, searching them and slandering my name. They have harassed my neighbors telling them I need to go to prison for a very long time. They harassed my daughter at school telling her to quit covering for me and to tell them everything she knows. I really don't know what to do anymore. Please help me.

prisstina96@yahoo.com
Katie Gormley